Friday, July 10, 2009

Grandfather Pause

"I can't believe I just did that in front of Will's southern baptist grandparents!" Stefanie began.

"I know," I replied, choking back hysterics. "I'm so sorry, sweetie. But that was hilarious."

Will (my friend, Jacob's upstairs neighbor, and the man responsible for introducing me and Jacob) was having his family visit for the weekend, and he was throwing a barbecue on the front lawn on Saturday afternoon. As that was the day that Jacob and I had planned to move into the new condo that we had just purchased, and per building policy we had to be finished by 1pm, the timing of the day worked out perfectly. Just when we would be wrapping up our move, tired and hungry, Will, his parents, and his grandparents would be firing up the grill just two short blocks away. Kismet!

So we rented a small U-Haul truck for the day, picked up Stefanie who was wonderful enough to help us move, and loaded up all of my large furniture items: couch, bed, kitchen table and chairs. Then we drove the two blocks to Jacob's apartment (which was also Will's), to load up Jacob's things.

We pulled up in front of his building, got out of the U-Haul, and opened the back of the truck, when we saw Will and his family pull up in a car and start to get out.

"Oh, shit!" hissed Stefanie. "I wore grubby clothes with the intention of heading home to change before the barbecue!"

"What difference does it make if they see you now? I'm wearing sweats too."

Then Stefanie looked down, in horror, and I realized why. She was wearing a t-shirt that said "Sex. Really."

I don't like to blog too much about work, but I'll elaborate a bit: Stefanie works for a public health nonprofit whose subject area is pregnancy prevention. They were about to launch a new website called (you guessed it!) "Sex. Really." and Stefanie had thrown on their promotional tee that morning.

"I'm wearing a shirt that says 'Sex. Really.' and we're being faced with Will's grandparents. Who are southern. Southern baptists! Sweet holy crackers, his grandfather's a freaking PREACHER!"

So we met them. And beet-faced Stefanie explained the shirt and apologized even before they noticed it. And we all had a good laugh, including Will's preacher granddaddy.


Sex, really. Preach on.

No comments: