Monday, September 22, 2008

The Greatest Lawsuit

"I blame Rob Reiner for the emotional downfall of the modern single female," Stefanie began.

"Mm hmm, definitely, " I mumbled absentmindedly. Then: "Wait... what?"

"Think about it. Every single woman believes the incredibly misguided notion that her single, adorable, sweet, funny, perfect male best friend will, eventually, fall madly in love with her. And it's Rob Reiner's fault."

"How do you figure?" I asked.

"When Harry Met Sally. The single most emotionally destructive movie of all time, in that it embedded in our minds the idea that this plot can actually happen. That it does actually happen. That it's only a matter of time before Mr. Perfect Best Friend realizes that YOU are the one he's been waiting, searching, hoping for. And you've been in front of him the whole time."

"Well, it must happen sometimes. To some women... right?" I offered weakly.

"I mean, maybe, to women like Danielle. To the rest of us? No dice. I really should sue Rob Reiner. One day I will take Rob Reiner to court and sue him for millions of dollars in emotional damages inflicted by When Harry Met Sally. Seriously, me suing Rob Reiner for emotional distress: great lawsuit? Or the greatest lawsuit?"


Oh, no question. Greatest lawsuit ever.

2 comments:

Pata Fria said...

Indeed. The greatest lawsuit. Although, he cannot be held SOLELY responsible - there have been other, less influential, perhaps, screenwriters and directors who are also to blame.

Lydia said...

Perhaps! But I find it's best when making grandiose lawsuit threats to go big or go home. With the blaming, that is. ;)